Wednesday 19 June 2013

The Competition

I love walking and I love a bit of healthy competition. So when my mum decided to challenge me to a monthly mileage competition using the 'Map My Walk' app, it was game on.
We started at the beginning of May 2013 and if I'm honest I thought it would be quite literally a 'walk in the park' for me, after all I have a dog and she doesn't, so I was bound to win, right?
Not necessarily. Mum might not walk as often as I do, but when she starts she doesn't bloody stop! It was May 31st and I was 2.3 miles beind her total with a work shift that wasn't due to end until 2100hrs.
I finished work with the idea of going for a run when I got home but as I walked through the door my partner was just serving up spaghetti and meatballs (and since my shifts don't always allow for such pleasures I wasn't about to pass this one up!)
After all there is always June wasn't there?
Wrong. I ate my meatballs threw on my trainers, grabbed the dog lead and off we went (Dora & I) at 21:40 to run 3.35 miles and claim victory for month 1 in the closing stages of the competition with a total mileage of 38.43 against her 37.38. Close call eh?
I bet she thought she had that one in the bag? Lol.


No comments:

Post a Comment